Transfagarasan - The Road From The Clouds
An amazing summer experience for anyone visiting Romania. Transfagarasan mountain road was build during the 70s for strategic military reasons. This road crosses Fagaras Mountains, also known as The Carpathian Alps. The road was tested by the famous members of Top Gear TV show, and they were amazed by its beauty.
On our way we are going to stop and visit Curtea de Arges Cathedral - an unique architectural masterpiece. Here is our royal necropolis.
Another impressive attraction is Vidraru Dam, built during the 60s and being back then the 8th tallest one in Europe with its 16 m.
Finally, Balea Lake, a crystal clear glacier lake places on the rooftop of Romania, at 2000 m altitude.
Let's hit this road....
Pricing for Transfagarasan, the Road From the Clouds Day Tour by Eddie
Private groups of 1-2 people (price per group)
90 euro + 90 euro = 180 euro (for a group of 2 people) ; 180 euro for a group of 1 person
Private groups of 3 or more people (price per person)
80 euro per person
Highlights - Transfagarasan, the Road From the Clouds Day Tour by Eddie
- This tour is designed and performed by Eddie, your local tour guide
- Small Group Tour - usually my groups are up to 7 people but if your group is larger we'll still have fun
- Transfagarasan Mountain Road - maybe the most beautiful driving road in the world
- Curtea de Arges Cathedral - erected 500 years ago by the ruler Neagoe Basarab, in his medieval capital of the Principality of Wallachia
- Vidraru Dam - an engineering masterpiece for the 60's, part of an ambitious communist project of electrifying Romania.
- Balea Lake - a scenic glacier lake surrounded by the crests of the Fagaras Mountains.
Curtea de Arges Cathedral
Transfagarasan Mountain Road
Full Day Private Tour
The tour runs from July to September. Please check for availability via email or WhatsApp/Mobile phone
12-13 hours. This may vary depending on road and traffic conditions, castle queues or any unexpected reason
Approx. 480 km round trip
Pick-up and Drop-off
At you hotel or place in Bucharest
At the moment we accept cash payment only. You are going to pay the tour price listed on this page (we do not apply any other additional charges) in the day of your tour, before the end of the tour
Tour guidance - by Eddie - certified national tour guide | Transportation by AC car - for 1-3 persons (my 2021 Dacia Logan or similar)/ 8-seater van for 4-8 persons/ bus for more than 8 persons (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) – is offered as a FREE of charge service | Stop for Curtea de Arges Monastery (entrance fee not included) | Stop for Vidraru Dam | Drive up on Transfagarasan road to Balea Lake | Free time/lunch time
Any entrance fees: Curtea de Arges Cathedral – 10 lei (2 euro) /adult) | Food and drinks | Souvenirs | Personal expenses
Transportation - using my 2021 Dacia Logan Comfort or minibus / bus
Itinerary - Transfagarasan, the Road From the Clouds Day Tour by Eddie
We leave Bucharest early in the morning and head toward Curtea de Arges Cathedral, our first stop.
The next stop is Vidraru Dam, but before this we could stop for lunch.
Then it will start the most spectacular part of our journey, on Transfagarasan road driving up to Balea Lake, our last tour attraction.
Our tour ends in Bucharest after this amazing trip.
For private tours - by request - we could skip (ongoing) some of the tour components in order to have more time for others. Also, we could have a different tour configuration, based on a prior request.
Good things to know before you book
- This tour could include some components that are not suitable for persons having walking disabilities Please contact us and we will try to offer the best option to you.
- Due to the traffic conditions, we cannot guarantee the return hour.
- During weekend time and official holidays, usually the traffic level is higher and our tour could last more hours than specified.
- We can unilaterally cancel the tour for important reasons as follows: force-majeur issues (E.g. roads blocked by snowfall; unavailable tour components; personal health problems, etc). In this case you will be notified prior to the tour starting hour with a text message on the same phone number or email you used to contact us. If your tour has been canceled you have the following options: get a full refund if you have payed any amount for this tour (currently we don't accept advance payments); opt for the same tour or other tour on some other date.
- Eddex Travel cannot be held responsible/liable if during our tour we find any site closed without a prior notice and also we cannot be made responsible/liable for any reason from the moment you arrive
- Transportation – by AC car - for 1-3 persons (my 2021 Dacia Logan or similar)/ 8-seater van for 4-8 persons/ bus for more than 8 persons (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) is FREE of charge, you are going to pay for the tour guidance only. Please Note: Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not cover any travel risks by a travel insurance or in any other way. Given the fact that travelling involves always some risks, we strongly recommend you to have a valid travel insurance to cover any potential risks, such as and not limited to: any unpleasant event, accident or even death, taking place during this tour. Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not be held responsible/liable for any consequences, regardless of whose fault generated the consequences
You may also like some other tours
Aren't you by this?
Share this Page