Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
The legend says that Poenari Fortress was erected in only one week.
Wallachia - more than 500 years ago, somewhere deep in the Carpathian Mountains. Vlad the Impaler commands this work to his boyars - as a punishment. And in order to make himself clear, first he impales some of them.
He personally chose where to build the fortress, upon a mountain peak, close to the Wallachian-Transylvanian border. The fortress - dubbed The Eagle Nest - served him as a last line of defence against the Ottomans and as an escape way to Transylvania, over the mountains.
Besides the ruins of this fascinating fortress we are going to visit Curtea de Arges Monastery, with its unique cathedral and royal necropolis and Vidraru Dam, top 5 in Europe with its 166 meters height.
Let's grab some garlic and go on Dracula's footsteps!
Pricing for Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
Private groups of 1-2 people (price per group)
60 euro + 60 euro = 120 euro (for a group of 2 people) ; 120 euro for a group of 1 person
Private groups of 3 or more people (price per person)
55 euro per person
Highlights - Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
- This tour is designed and performed by Eddie, your local tour guide
- Small Group Tour - usually my groups are up to 7 people but if your group is larger we'll still have fun
- Poenari Fortress - a place where the myth and reality collide, the ruins of the famous "Eagle Nest".
- Curtea de Arges Monastery - its cathedral is an unique architectural gem in Wallachia. Our Royal Necropolis
- Vidraru Dam - an engineering masterpiece, built during the 60's and still top 5 in Europe.
Curtea de Arges Cathedral
Full Day Private Tour
The tour runs all year round. Please check for availability via email or WhatsApp/Mobile phone
10 hours. This may vary depending on road and traffic conditions, castle queues or any unexpected reason
Approx. 384 km round trip (of which around 219 km on mororway)
Pick-up and Drop-off
At you hotel or place in Bucharest
At the moment we accept cash payment only. You are going to pay the tour price listed on this page (we do not apply any other additional charges) in the day of your tour, before the end of the tour
Pick-up and drop-off (at your hotel or place in Bucharest) | Tour guidance - by Eddie - certified national tour guide | Transportation by AC car - for 1-3 persons (my 2021 Dacia Logan or similar)/ 8-seater van for 4-8 persons/ bus for more than 8 persons (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) – is offered as a FREE of charge service | Stops to our tour attractions: the ruins of Poenari Fortress, Curtea de Arges Monastery, Vidraru Dam, Free time for lunch. (entrance fees are not included)
Any entrance fees: Poenari Fortress – 20 lei (4 euro)/adult | Curtea de Arges Cathedral – 10 lei (2 euro)/adult | Food and drinks | Souvenirs | Personal expenses
Transportation - using my 2021 Dacia Logan Comfort or minibus / bus
Itinerary - Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
We start our day tour early in the morning, heading west north-west to Pitesti City. Here we have short coffee break.
After a short coffee break we continue to Curtea de Arges Monastery and visit the Cathedral. After the visit you will have free time for lunch or other activities.
Next will be our main tour attraction, the ruins of Poenari Fortress.
After the fortress visit you'll have The last attraction is Vidraru Dam.
Our tour to Dracula's Nest ends in Bucharest at the end of this beautiful day.
For private tours - by request - we could skip (ongoing) some of the tour components in order to have more time for others. Also, we could have a different tour configuration, based on a prior request.
Good things to know before you book
- This tour is not suitable for persons having walking disabilities (especially Poenari Fortress visit involves climbing 1480 steps). Please contact us and we will try to offer the best option to you.
- Due to the traffic conditions, we cannot guarantee the return hour.
- During weekend time and official holidays, usually the traffic level is higher and our tour could last more hours than specified
- We can unilaterally cancel the tour for important reasons as follows: force-majeur issues (E.g. roads blocked by snowfall; unavailable tour components; personal health problems, etc). In this case you will be notified prior to the tour starting hour with a text message on the same phone number or email you used to contact us. If your tour has been canceled you have the following options: get a full refund if you have payed any amount for this tour (currently we don't accept advance payments); opt for the same tour but a private one; opt for the same shared tour on some other date.
- Eddex Travel cannot be held responsible if during our tour we find any site closed without a prior notice and also we cannot be held responsible for any reason from the moment you arrive
- Transportation – by AC car - for 1-3 persons (my 2021 Dacia Logan or similar)/ 8-seater van for 4-8 persons/ bus for more than 8 persons (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) is FREE of charge, you are going to pay for the tour guidance only. Please Note: Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not cover any travel risks by a travel insurance or in any other way. Given the fact that travelling involves always some risks, we strongly recommend you to have a valid travel insurance to cover any potential risks, such as and not limited to: any unpleasant event, accident or even death, taking place during this tour. Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not be held responsible/liable for any consequences, regardless of whose fault generated the consequences
You may also like some other tours
Aren't you by this?
Share this Page