Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
The legend says that Poenari Fortress was erected in only one week.
Wallachia - more than 500 years ago, somewhere deep in the Carpathian Mountains. Vlad the Impaler commands this work to his boyars - as a punishment. And in order to make himself clear, first he impales some of them.
He personally chose where to build the fortress, upon a mountain peak, close to the Wallachian-Transylvanian border. The fortress - dubbed The Eagle Nest - served him as a last line of defence against the Ottomans and as an escape way to Transylvania, over the mountains.
Besides the ruins of this fascinating fortress we are going to visit Curtea de Arges Monastery, with its unique cathedral and royal necropolis.
Then our last attraction will be Vidraru Dam, top 5 in Europe with its 166 meters height.
Let's grab some garlic and go on Dracula's footsteps!
Private/Shared small group day tour. The SHARED version of this tour runs with a group of 3-5 people. In case of less than 3 the tour will be canceled and you could book a private tour instead. The PRIVATE version of this tour runs with a group of any number of people.
The tour runs all year round. Please check for availability via email or WhatsApp/Mobile phone
10 hours. This may vary depending on road and traffic conditions, castle queues or any unexpected reason
Approx. 384 km round trip (of which around 219 km on mororway)
Private groups - at you hotel or place in Bucharest. Shared groups - The Romanian Athenaeum - main entrance - by the columns. This is close to almost all the hotels in Bucharest city center (10-20 minutes walking). Please use the map at the end of this page. The exact address is 1-3 Benjamin Franklin st., Bucharest
Private groups - at you hotel or place in Bucharest. Shared groups - The Romanian Athenaeum
At the moment we accept cash payment only. You are going to pay the tour price listed on this page (we do not apply any other additional charges) in the day of your tour, before the end of the tour
Tour guidance - by Eddie - certified national tour guide | Transportation (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) – is offered as a FREE of charge service | Stops to our tour attractions: the ruins of Poenari Fortress, Curtea de Arges Monastery, Vidraru Dam, Free time for lunch. (entrance fees are not included)
Any entrance fees: Poenari Fortress – 20 lei (4 euro)/adult | Curtea de Arges Cathedral – 10 lei (2 euro)/adult | Food and drinks | Souvenirs | Personal expenses
Pricing for Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
Private groups of 1-2 people
Price per group: 179 euro
Private groups of 3-5 people
Price per person: 79 euro
Private groups of more than 5 people
Price per person: Please ask for a quotation
Shared groups of up to 5 people
Price per person: 75 euro. Please Note: the shared version of this tour runs only if the group gathers a minimum number of 3 people
Highlights - Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
- Small Group Tour - up to 5 people. Due to the group small size, the shared tour version is almost private in many ways. You'll get more value and fun
- Poenari Fortress - a place where the myth and reality collide, the ruins of the famous "Eagle Nest".
- Curtea de Arges Monastery - its cathedral is an unique architectural gem in Wallachia. Our Royal Necropolis
- Vidraru Dam - an engineering masterpiece, built during the 60's and still top 5 in Europe.
Curtea de Arges Cathedral
Itinerary - Dracula's Nest - Poenari Fortress Day Tour by Eddie
We start our day tour early in the morning, heading west north-west to Pitesti City. Here we have short coffee break.
After a short coffee break we continue to Curtea de Arges Monastery and visit the Cathedral. After the visit you will have free time for lunch or other activities.
Next will be our main tour attraction, the ruins of Poenari Fortress.
After the fortress visit you'll have The last attraction is Vidraru Dam.
Our tour to Dracula's Nest ends in Bucharest at the end of this beautiful day.
For private tours - by request - we could skip (ongoing) some of the tour components in order to have more time for others. Also, we could have a different tour configuration, based on a prior request.
Good things to know before you book
- This tour is not suitable for persons having walking disabilities (Poenari Fortress visit climbing 1480 steps).
- The shared version of this tour is not suitable for children under 7 years. You may opt for the private version. Please contact us and we will try to offer the best option to you.
- Due to the traffic conditions, we cannot guarantee the return hour.
- During weekend time and official holidays, usually the traffic level is higher and our tour could last more hours than specified
- For a shared tour, we can run this tour with a minimum of 3 people. If less than 3 people, the tour will be canceled unilaterally. In this case you will have the following options: get a full refund if you have payed any amount for this tour (currently we don't accept advance payments); opt for the same tour but a private one; book the same shared tour on some other date.
- We can unilaterally cancel the tour for important reasons as follows: force-majeur issues (E.g. roads blocked by snowfall; unavailable tour components; personal health problems, etc). In this case you will be notified prior to the tour starting hour with a text message on the same phone number or email you used to contact us. If your tour has been canceled you have the following options: get a full refund if you have payed any amount for this tour (currently we don't accept advance payments); opt for the same tour but a private one; opt for the same shared tour on some other date.
- Eddex Travel cannot be held responsible if during our tour we find any site closed without a prior notice and also we cannot be held responsible for any reason from the moment you arrive
- Transportation – is FREE of charge, you are going to pay for the tour guidance only. Please Note: Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not cover any travel risks by a travel insurance or in any other way. Given the fact that travelling involves always some risks, we strongly recommend you to have a valid travel insurance to cover any potential risks, such as and not limited to: any unpleasant event, accident or even death, taking place during this tour. Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not be held responsible/liable for any consequences, regardless of whose fault generated the consequences
Please use the map below to reach our meeting point (for shared tours)
You may also like some other tours
Aren't you by this?
Share this Page