Bucharest to Bulgaria Day Trip by Eddie
Discover the imposing Tsarevets Fortress in Veliko Tarnovo, the former capital of the so called Wallachian - Bulgarian Empire
This Bucharest to Bulgaria day trip is a relaxing and enjoyable way to understand more about the Balkan region. Bulgaria is Romania's southern neighbour. From Bucharest to Bulgaria (at the border) we have around 70 km and from Bucharest to Veliko Tarnovo around 180 km. Bulgaria is a very beautiful country, having a lot to offer for tourism. If you visit Bucharest, this Bulgaria tour is a very good option.
Maybe the most important "project" developed by Bulgaria and Romania was the The Second Bulgarian Kingdom, also known as The Wallachian-Bulgarian Empire (the name Wallachia was used during the Middle Ages for the southern part of nowadays Romania).
This multi-ethnic kingdom/empire was established late 12th century by two Wallachian brothers, Petru and Ioan Asan. The capital city of this new state was Veliko Tarnovo. Later on their younger brother - Ionita Asan - will be recognised by the Pope Innocent III as "Rex Blachorum et Bulgarorum", King of Wallachia and Bulgaria.
The nowadays Veliko Tarnovo is a picturesque mid-sized city, build along Yantra River. Besides the main attraction - Tsarevets Fortress - one can admire here the charming houses hung on the hills, the beautiful pedestrian streets in the historical center, monuments and churches. The local food is also delicious and there are very good restaurants around. Nearby is the beautiful Village of Arbanasi, famous for its architecture.
But before Veliko Tarnovo, we have to stop and visit the Rock-Hewn Church of Ivanovo, a UNESCO World Heritage site, placed in the middle of Rusenski Lom Nature Park.
Welcome to Bulgaria - The Land of Roses!
Why with us
- More time for you - my tours are designed to give the traveler a fair amount of time to really enjoy the attractions included
- Personal experience - this tour is designed and performed by Eddie, your professional local tour guide
- Flexibility is the key word - in case of a private tour, one could spend more time on what interests you most and less for the rest
- Unicity - we could (if possible and desired) add one tour component and remove the other - even ongoing - for a full customized experience
- Small Group Tour - usually my groups are up to 7 people but if your group is larger we'll still have fun
"Bulgaria Day Tour" ★★★★★ on TripAdvisor
...It was a smooth and comfy tour as it was just me and my friend in the car. There were tray tables, and charger for mobile phones. Eddie is knowledgeable about the tour, and also a cool tour guide. We were thankful that we were able to step on Bulgaria and see some beautiful spots. I highly recommend Eddie and this tour package.
See more about Eddie on TripAdvisor
Pricing for this Bucharest Bulgaria Day Trip by Eddie
Private groups of 1-2 people (price per group)
80 euro/person + 80 euro/person = 160 euro (for a group of 2 persons) ; 160 euro for a group of 1 person
Private groups of 3-7 people (price per person)
75 euro per person
Private groups of 8 or more people (price per person)
70 euro per person
Highlights - Bucharest to Bulgaria Day Trip by Eddie
- Tsarevets Fortress - a former royal and patriarchal center, the primary fortress of the Second Bulgarian Empire
- Veliko Tarnovo Old Town - the former capital city of the Second Bulgarian Empire
- The Rock-Hewn Church of Ivanovo - founded and painted in 1360 as part of the Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael
- The Village of Arbanassi - an architectural reserve, this village was erected centuries ago by wealthy merchants, Bulgarians, Greeks and Albanians
Veliko Tarnovo - The Great Throne
The Rock-Hewn Church of Ivanovo
Full Day Private Tour
The tour runs all year round. Please check for availability via email or WhatsApp/Mobile phone
This tour is held in English. However, I can help a bit the Italian tourists with my basic level of Italian language (parlo un po' di italiano)
11 hours. This may vary depending on road and traffic conditions, queues at the visited sites or any unexpected reason
Approx. 392 km round trip
For this tour we have to cross the Romanian-Bulgarian border. Therefore, you will need your passport if you are a non-EU citizen | ID card for the EU citizens, and a visa or the right to enter Bulgaria
Pick-up and Drop-off
At you hotel or place in Bucharest
At the moment we accept cash payment only. You are going to pay the tour price listed on this page (we do not apply any other additional charges) in the day of your tour, before the end of the tour
Pick-up and drop-off (at your hotel or place in Bucharest) | Tour guidance - by Eddie - certified national tour guide | Transportation by AC car - for 1-3 persons (my 2021 Dacia Logan or similar - in the case of groups of 3 people, in order to have maximum comfort, one person could sit in front and the other two in the back seats)/ 8-seater van for 4-7 persons/ bus for more than 7 persons (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) – is offered as a FREE of charge service | Stop for Tsarevets Fortress interior standard tour (entrance fee not included) | Stop for Ivanovo Rock-hewn Church interior standard tour (entrance fee not included) | Stop for Village of Arbanassi | Free time for lunch and/or shopping
Any entrance fees: Tsarevets Fortress - 10 leve (5 euro) /adult | Church of Ivanovo - 10 leva (5 euro) /adult | Food and drinks | Souvenirs | Personal expenses
Transportation - 1 to 3 persons using my 2021 Dacia Logan Comfort; for more than 3 persons we use minibus / bus
Itinerary - Bucharest to Bulgaria Day Trip by Eddie
Our Bucharest to Bulgaria trip starts in the morning. We head south and after only 65 km we reach the border, which is set up by the Danube River. Therefore, you will have the chance to admire the second longest river in Europe.
First stop is the Rock-hewn Church of Ivanovo, and here we could enjoy the inside drawings and the magnificent view from the balcony.
Next stop will be Veliko Tarnovo with its impressive Tsarevets Fortress. After the fortress visit you will have free time for lunch and/or shopping.
The last stop will be the village of Arbanassi, for a short walk.
Our Bulgaria tour ends in Bucharest after a full beautiful day.
For private tours - by request - we could skip (ongoing) some of the tour components in order to have more time for others. Also, we could have a different tour configuration, based on a prior request.
Good things to know before you book Bucharest to Bulgaria Day Trip
- This tour includes components that are not suitable for persons having walking disabilities (especially the Rock-hewn Church of Ivanovo and Tsarevets Fortress involves climbing stairs). Please contact us and we will try to offer the best option to you.
- Once arrived at the border check point you will need your travel documents. In case you don't have your passport (non-EU citizens)/ID card (EU citizens) with you, or you don't have a valid visa for Bulgaria and/or Romania, or the right to enter and exit Bulgaria and Romania, or any other reason that prevents you to enter and exit Bulgaria and Romania we (the company, tour guide and the rest of the group) can not wait for you and we are going to continue the tour. In this case you will be solely responsible for your return journey and we cannot refund the price for this tour or for your return journey or any other loss.
- Along this Bucharest to Bulgaria day trip you might need some cash, as some local restaurants or street merchants could accept cash only. The local currency is called leva and is your best cash payment option. Some places could accept your payment in euro or even in lei (the Romanian currency).
- Due to the traffic conditions or other reasons we cannot guarantee the return hour or the total number of hours agreed for this tour.
- During weekend time, peak season and official holidays, usually the traffic level is higher and crossing the border could take longer than usual and our tour could last more hours than specified.
- We reserve the right to refuse or unilaterally cancel any tour/service/product you want to book or you booked with us, for any reason. You will be notified via your email address/phone number regarding this issue at least 24 hours before your tour date or as soon as possible. In this case you may ask us to try to change the desired tour date or to change the tour, if possible. If you did pay any amount of money for the refused/cancelled service, and you are not interested in changing your tour date or your tour, you will be refunded. We are not liable for any losses or expenses caused by the issues above.
- You will follow all our tour guide indications regarding the timings and the meeting points. If you will not be present at the time and place specified by the tour guide, we (the tour guide and the rest of the group) can not wait for you or come back for you, therefore you will be solely responsible for your return journey
- During our tour you are not allowed to wander off from our group without the acceptance of our tour guide. In case this happens or you return to our group late, we (the tour guide and the rest of the group) can not wait for you.
- Eddex Travel cannot be held responsible/liable if during our tour we find any site closed without a prior notice or we can't arrive in time to visit the attractions of the tour and also we cannot be made responsible/liable for any reason from the moment you arrive.
- Transportation – by AC car - for 1-3 persons (my 2021 Dacia Logan or similar)/ 8-seater van for 4-8 persons/ bus for more than 8 persons (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.) is FREE of charge, you are going to pay for the tour guidance only.
- Please Note: Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not cover any travel risks by a travel insurance or in any other way. Given the fact that travelling involves always some risks, we strongly recommend you to have a valid travel insurance to cover any potential risks, such as and not limited to: any unpleasant event, accident or even death, taking place during this tour. Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not be held responsible/liable for any consequences, regardless of whose fault generated the consequences
We are not responsible/liable for any losses or expenses caused by the issues above.
You may also like some other tours
Aren't you by this?
Share this Page