Explore Bulgaria Day Tour by Eddie
Bulgaria is Romania's southern neighbour. It is a very beautiful country, having a lot to offer for tourism. If you visit Bucharest, this Bulgaria tour is a very good option.
Maybe the most important "project" developed by Bulgaria and Romania was the The Second Bulgarian Kingdom, also known as The Wallachian-Bulgarian Empire (the name Wallachia was used during the Middle Ages for the southern part of nowadays Romania).
This multi-ethnic kingdom/empire was established late 12th century by two Wallachian brothers, Petru and Ioan Asan. The capital city of this new state was Veliko Tarnovo. Later on their younger brother - Ionita Asan - will be recognised by the Pope Innocent III as "Rex Blachorum et Bulgarorum", King of Wallachia and Bulgaria.
The nowadays Veliko Tarnovo is a picturesque mid-sized city, build along Yantra River. Besides the main attraction - Tsarevets Fortress - one can admire here the charming houses hung on the hills, the beautiful pedestrian streets in the historical center, monuments and churches. The local food is also delicious and there are very good restaurants around. Nearby is the beautiful Village of Arbanasi, famous for its architecture.
But before Veliko Tarnovo, we have to stop and visit the Rock-Hewn Church of Ivanovo, a UNESCO World Heritage site, placed in the middle of Rusenski Lom Nature Park.
Welcome to Bulgaria - The Land of Roses!
Private/Shared day tour. This is a small group tour., up to 5 people. For a shared tour, the minimum number of people is 3 and the maximum number of people is 5 (in case of less than 3 the tour will be canceled and you will be fully refunded, or you could book a private tour instead).
The tour runs all year round. Please check for availability via email or WhatsApp/Mobile phone
11 hours. This may vary depending on road and traffic conditions, queues at the visited sites or any unexpected reason
Approx. 392 km round trip
For this tour we have to cross the Romanian-Bulgarian border. Therefore, you will need your passport if you are a non-EU citizen | ID card for the EU citizens, and a visa or the right to enter Bulgaria
Private groups – at you hotel or place in Bucharest. Shared groups – The Romanian Athenaeum – main entrance – by the columns. This is close to almost all the hotels in Bucharest city center (10-20 minutes walking). Please use the map at the end of this page. The exact address is 1-3 Benjamin Franklin st., Bucharest
Private groups – at you hotel or place in Bucharest. Shared groups – The Romanian Athenaeum
At the moment we accept cash payment only. You are going to pay the tour price listed on this page (we do not apply any other additional charges) in the day of your tour, before the end of the tour
Tour guidance – by Eddie – certified national tour guide | Transportation (including driver, fuel, road tax, parking fees, etc.)– is offered as a FREE of charge service | Stop for Tsarevets Fortress interior standard tour (entrance fee not included, around 45 minutes | Stop for Ivanovo Rock-hewn Church interior standard tour (entrance fee not included, around 20 minutes + some free time to explore the surroundings) | Stop for Village of Arbanassi – around 20 minutes | Free time for lunch and/or shopping
Any entrance fees: Tsarevets Fortress – 6 leve (3 euro) /adult | Church of Ivanovo – 2 leva (1 euro) /adult | Food and drinks | Souvenirs | Personal expenses
Pricing for Explore Bulgaria Day Tour by Eddie
10 % OFF in October, on ALL orders!
Private groups of 1-2 people
Price per group: 179 euro (161 euro in October)
Private Groups of 3-5 people
Price per person: 79 euro (71 euro in October)
Private Groups of more than 5 people
Price per person: Please ask for a quotation
Shared groups of up to 5 people
Price per person: 75 euro (67,5 euro in October). Please Note: the shared version of this tour runs with a minimum number of 3 people
Highlights - Explore Bulgaria Day Tour by Eddie
- Small Group Tour - up to 5 people. Due to the group small size, the shared tour version is almost private in many ways. You'll get more value and fun
- Tsarevets Fortress - a former royal and patriarchal center, the primary fortress of the Second Bulgarian Empire
- Veliko Tarnovo Old Town - the former capital city of the Second Bulgarian Empire
- The Rock-Hewn Church of Ivanovo - founded and painted in 1360 as part of the Monastery of the Holy Archangel Michael
- The Village of Arbanassi - an architectural reserve, this village was erected centuries ago by wealthy merchants, Bulgarians, Greeks and Albanians
Veliko Tarnovo - The Great Throne
The Rock-Hewn Church of Ivanovo
Itinerary - Explore Bulgaria Day Tour by Eddie
Our Bulgaria tour starts early in the morning, in order to avoid Bucharest rush hour traffic. We head south and after only 65 km we reach the border, which is set up by the Danube River. Therefore, you will have the chance to admire the second longest river in Europe.
First stop is the Rock-hewn Church of Ivanovo, and here we could enjoy the inside drawings and the magnificent view from the balcony.
Next stop will be Veliko Tarnovo with its impressive Tsarevets Fortress. After the fortress visit you will have free time for lunch and/or shopping.
The last stop will be the village of Arbanassi, for a short walk.
Our Bulgaria tour ends in Bucharest after a full beautiful day.
For private tours - by request - we could skip (ongoing) some of the tour components in order to have more time for others. Also, we could have a different tour configuration, based on a prior request.
Good things to know before you book
- The shared version of this tour is not suitable for individuals with walking disabilities (especially the Rock-hewn Church of Ivanovo and Tsarevets Fortress involves climbing stairs). You may opt for the private version. Please contact us and we will try to offer the best option to you.
- Once arrived at the border check point you will need your travel documents. In case you don't have your passport (non-EU citizens)/ID card (EU citizens) with you, or you don't have a valid visa for Bulgaria or the right to enter Bulgaria, or any other reason that prevents you to enter Bulgaria we (the tour guide and the rest of the group) can not wait for you and we are going to continue the tour. In this case you will be solely responsible for your return journey.
- Along this Bulgaria tour you may need some cash, as some local restaurants or street merchants could accept cash only. The local currency is called leva and is your best cash payment option. Some places could accept your payment in euro or even in lei (the Romanian currency).
- Due to the traffic conditions, we cannot guarantee the return hour.
- During weekend time, peak season and official holidays, usually the traffic level is higher and crossing border could take longer than usual and our tour could last more hours than specified.
- For a shared tour, we can run this tour with a minimum of 3 people. In case we have less than 3 people, the tour will be canceled unilaterally. In this case you will have the following options: get a full refund if you have payed any amount for this tour (currently we don't accept advance payments); opt for the same tour but a private one; opt for the same shared tour on some other date.
- We can unilaterally cancel the tour for important reasons as follows: force-majeur issues (E.g. roads blocked by snowfall; unavailable tour components; personal health problems, etc). In this case you will be notified prior to the tour starting hour with a text message to the same phone number or email you used to contact us. If your tour has been cancelled you have the following options: get a full refund if you have payed any amount for this tour (currently we don't accept advance payments); opt for the same tour but a private one; opt for the same shared tour on some other date.
- You will follow all our tour guide indications regarding the timings and the meeting points. If you will not be present at the time and place specified by the tour guide, we (the tour guide and the rest of the group) can not wait for you or come back for you, therefore you will be solely responsible for your return journey
- During our tour you are not allowed to wander off from our group without the acceptance of our tour guide. In case this happens or you return to our group late, we (the tour guide and the rest of the group) can not wait for you.
- Eddex Travel cannot be held responsible/liable if during our tour we find any site closed without a prior notice and also we cannot be held responsible/liable for any reason from the moment you arrive.
- Transportation – is FREE of charge, you are going to pay for the tour guidance only. Please Note: Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not cover any travel risks by a travel insurance or in any other way. Given the fact that travelling involves always some risks, we strongly recommend you to have a valid travel insurance to cover any potential risks, such as and not limited to: any unpleasant event, accident or even death, taking place during this tour. Eddex Travel Company or the individuals involved in this tour can not be held responsible/liable for any consequences, regardless of whose fault generated the consequences
We are not responsible/liable for any losses or expenses caused by the issues above.
Please use the map below to reach our meeting point (for shared tours)
You may also like some other tours
Aren't you by this?
Share this Page